Young Democrats make Sanderson great again

The SHS Young Democrats Logo

Sanderson Young Democrats

The SHS Young Democrats Logo

In this day and age, it is not uncommon for high school students to form opinions about political topics. Unfortunately, due to the fact that the majority of high school students are under the age of eighteen and cannot vote, they often feel as though they have no voice in politics. Sanderson’s Young Democrats club intends to change this.
Young Democrats is a student-run club, currently led by Kate Dittmann, Jessica Makler, and Megan Mulder, the club’s co-presidents, with help from Ms. Johnson and Ms. Fanney as co-advisors. If a club that is solely political does not seem interesting, don’t worry! During monthly meetings, the club focuses on speaking about both political and social current events. Topics that have been covered in meetings include gun control in light of the Las Vegas shooting and sexual assault due to recent allegations in Hollywood.
Another important component of Young Democrats is respect. The club’s leaders stress how important it is to keep an open mind to the opinions and beliefs of others.
“It’s okay if you’re unsure of your political beliefs. This club is about exploration and meeting others with similar interests,” the co-presidents stated.
The club intends to get high school students involved in their community through meetings, protests, marches, volunteer opportunities, and after school events. Two of their upcoming events include a sexual assault prevention class which is scheduled to take place after school on November 28, as well as a field trip to the Governor’s Mansion at a later date.
Having a club that helps young people find their place in politics is incredibly important. While most high school students are unable to take part in politics, most of the current sophomore, junior and senior classes will be able to vote in the next presidential election, therefore, educating those who are the future of America is imperative.
If you are interested in learning more about politics and how young people can get involved, Young Democrats will be a great place to start. For updates about meeting, check the twitter (@YoungDemsSHS) or text @yngdms1718 to 81010 to be added to the club’s Remind!