Cardinal Gibbons joins Cap 7 Conference

++%E2%80%9COne+of+these+things+is+not+like+the+other%E2%80%9D+is+a+perfectly+suited+description+for+Cardinal+Gibbons+High+School+joining+the+Capitol+area+athletic+conference.+Formerly+known+as+the+Cap-8%2C+Sanderson%27s+previous+opponents+consisted+of+Millbrook%2C+Sanderson%2C+Enloe%2C+Leesville%2C+Wakefield%2C+Heritage%2C+Broughton%2C+and+Wake+Forest.+To+achieve+a+better+geographical+fit+for+each+team%2C+conference+areas+were+redistricted+and+Cap-7+was+born.+The+new+conference+consists+of+Sanderson%2C+Broughton%2C+Leesville%2C+Millbrook%2C+Enloe%2C+Southeast+Raleigh%2C+and+of+course...Cardinal+Gibbons.+%0A++For+those+who+are+not+aware%2C+Cardinal+Gibbons+is+a+private%2C+Catholic+school.+This+makes+Gibbons+the+only+private+school+in+the+conference%2C+stirring+up+hostile+reactions+from+student+athletes%2C+parents%2C+and+teachers+alike.+A+vast+majority+of+athletes+from+Sanderson%2C+and+other+Cap-7+schools+find+it+unfair+that+Gibbons+is+included+because+they+believe+it+could+provide+them+with+multiple+unfair+advantages%2C+such+as+higher+quality+training+and+equipment%2C+more+coaching+staff%2C+and+an+overall+higher+athletic+budget.+%0A++Sophomore+tennis+player+Claire+Spickard+gave+her+input%2C+stating+%E2%80%9CI+think+it%E2%80%99s+unfair+because+they+are+a+private+school+and+have+nice+things+as+well+as+advantages.+However%2C+this+is+not+an+excuse.+We+let+them+get+in+our+heads+and+dominate+because+they+are+Cardinal+Gibbons%2C+when+we+have+the+ability+to+beat+them.%E2%80%9D%0A+++Spickard+was+not+the+only+Spartan+to+take+the+seemingly+arbitrary+situation%2C+and+put+a+spin+on+it.+Sanderson+athletic+director+Coach+Lewis+found+the+positive+in+the+change.+%E2%80%9CCardinal+Gibbons+adds+a+unique+dynamic+to+our+conference%2C+being+private+in+Wake+County.+They%E2%80%99re+recognized+as+one+of+the+top+athletic+schools+in+the+country.+They%E2%80%99ll+provide+an+opportunity+to+expand+from+teams+in+the+past%2C%E2%80%9D+he+stated.%0A++Gibbons%E2%80%99+biggest+advantage+is+not+only+their+private+school+wealth%2C+but+also+their+reputation+as+an+athletic+powerhouse.+Their+football+team+is+ranked+4-0+overall%2C+with+their+men%27s+soccer+team+ranked+number+1+in+the+state+and+number+3+in+the+nation.+Everywhere+they+compete%2C+Gibbons+brings+an+intimidation+level+that+could+make+or+break+an+athlete.+It+is+up+to+each+player+to+decide+if+they+will+let+the+power+and+force+associated+with+Gibbons+overwhelm+them%2C+or+if+they+will+use+the+opportunity+to+propel+them+forward+with+drive%2C+and+strength.+Good+luck+to+all+Spartan+athletes+who+take+on+the+Crusaders+in+the+coming+up+sports+seasons%21%0A

Cardinal Gibbons Athletics

“One of these things is not like the other” is a perfectly suited description for Cardinal Gibbons High School joining the Capitol area athletic conference. Formerly known as the Cap-8, Sanderson's previous opponents consisted of Millbrook, Sanderson, Enloe, Leesville, Wakefield, Heritage, Broughton, and Wake Forest. To achieve a better geographical fit for each team, conference areas were redistricted and Cap-7 was born. The new conference consists of Sanderson, Broughton, Leesville, Millbrook, Enloe, Southeast Raleigh, and of course...Cardinal Gibbons. For those who are not aware, Cardinal Gibbons is a private, Catholic school. This makes Gibbons the only private school in the conference, stirring up hostile reactions from student athletes, parents, and teachers alike. A vast majority of athletes from Sanderson, and other Cap-7 schools find it unfair that Gibbons is included because they believe it could provide them with multiple unfair advantages, such as higher quality training and equipment, more coaching staff, and an overall higher athletic budget. Sophomore tennis player Claire Spickard gave her input, stating “I think it’s unfair because they are a private school and have nice things as well as advantages. However, this is not an excuse. We let them get in our heads and dominate because they are Cardinal Gibbons, when we have the ability to beat them.” Spickard was not the only Spartan to take the seemingly arbitrary situation, and put a spin on it. Sanderson athletic director Coach Lewis found the positive in the change. “Cardinal Gibbons adds a unique dynamic to our conference, being private in Wake County. They’re recognized as one of the top athletic schools in the country. They’ll provide an opportunity to expand from teams in the past,” he stated. Gibbons’ biggest advantage is not only their private school wealth, but also their reputation as an athletic powerhouse. Their football team is ranked 4-0 overall, with their men's soccer team ranked number 1 in the state and number 3 in the nation. Everywhere they compete, Gibbons brings an intimidation level that could make or break an athlete. It is up to each player to decide if they will let the power and force associated with Gibbons overwhelm them, or if they will use the opportunity to propel them forward with drive, and strength. Good luck to all Spartan athletes who take on the Crusaders in the coming up sports seasons!

“One of these things is not like the other” is a perfectly suited description for Cardinal Gibbons High School joining the Capitol area athletic conference. Formerly known as the Cap-8, Sanderson’s previous opponents consisted of Millbrook, Sanderson, Enloe, Leesville, Wakefield, Heritage, Broughton, and Wake Forest. To achieve a better geographical fit for each team, conference areas were redistricted and Cap-7 was born. The new conference consists of Sanderson, Broughton, Leesville, Millbrook, Enloe, Southeast Raleigh, and of course…Cardinal Gibbons.

For those who are not aware, Cardinal Gibbons is a private, Catholic school. This makes Gibbons the only private school in the conference, stirring up hostile reactions from student athletes, parents, and teachers alike. A vast majority of athletes from Sanderson, and other Cap-7 schools find it unfair that Gibbons is included because they believe it could provide them with multiple unfair advantages, such as higher quality training and equipment, more coaching staff, and an overall higher athletic budget.

Sophomore tennis player Claire Spickard gave her input, stating “I think it’s unfair because they are a private school and have nice things as well as advantages. However, this is not an excuse. We let them get in our heads and dominate because they are Cardinal Gibbons, when we have the ability to beat them.”

Spickard was not the only Spartan to take the seemingly arbitrary situation, and put a spin on it. Sanderson athletic director Coach Lewis found the positive in the change. “Cardinal Gibbons adds a unique dynamic to our conference, being private in Wake County. They’re recognized as one of the top athletic schools in the country. They’ll provide an opportunity to expand from teams in the past,” he stated.

Gibbons’ biggest advantage is not only their private school wealth, but also their reputation as an athletic powerhouse. Their football team is ranked 4-0 overall, with their men’s soccer team ranked number 1 in the state and number 3 in the nation. Everywhere they compete, Gibbons brings an intimidation level that could make or break an athlete. It is up to each player to decide if they will let the power and force associated with Gibbons overwhelm them, or if they will use the opportunity to propel them forward with drive, and strength. Good luck to all Spartan athletes who take on the Crusaders in the coming up sports seasons!