WCPSS Takes Long-Awaited Step Forward to Plan A

WeAreTeachers

Teachers and students prepare as schools reopen.

The long awaited reopening of schools is here as the Wake County Public School System announced on March 22 that high schools will move forward with Plan A after Spring Break. The Sanderson High School staff and students are cautious yet happy at the thought of returning to every-day learning. 

Plan A means that students and staff, minus the people that signed up for remote learning, will be going back to school full-time on April 7.  

Junior Maslan Vogelsberg says, “I am going back, and I am a little bit nervous. But also, I think it was a good decision, because many kids are struggling in virtual, the cases are down, and a lot of people have been vaccinated.”

Another student, sophomore Anna Cook explains how she too thinks it is a good decision and that she trusts the school to keep everyone safe, “I think going back in person will be good for a lot of people. It does seem a bit quick but I think the school will do it’s best to keep everyone safe.”

Teachers have an important responsibility when it comes to reopening the schools. In addition to their normal role they must make sure the classroom is as COVID-19 free as possible.

American History Teacher, Berry Smith stated, “I have different emotions about WCPSS moving to Plan A. First, I’m very excited that society as a whole is seeing improvement as it relates to the Coronavirus.” Smith continued, “However, there’s still a lot of trepidation, uncertainty, and fear for many about the effectiveness of the vaccines and the potential of COVID-19 outbreaks on campus. One thing I do love about the WCPSS decision is that they gave families options.”

COVID-19  has made collaborative, hands-on activities very difficult and teachers are eager to see how they can work within the guidelines given by the county. 

Foods Teacher, Greyson Bennett expressed how she will have to find new and innovative ways for her class time, “When more students come in at once, I will have to determine whether I need to have two-day labs so they can continue to be one student per kitchen or whether two students can work together while following the county guidance.”

Not all students will be participating in Plan A. What does this mean for the people who will be remote? Teachers must find a way to come up with a curriculum that will cater to both in-person and online students. 

“That is really the only thing that would change, along with finding something constructive for students to complete during non-live time once they are done with their activity/assignment for the day, so that they are not just sitting there on their phones doing nothing!” Bennett stated while continuing to comment on the changes she will have to make when determining what to do for labs and the non-live portion of class. 

Smith explained further, “How Plan A will work or be structured with Virtual Academy is yet to be seen. However, I would imagine that there will be some changes.”

After over a year of virtual learning, the Sanderson Spartans are excited to see the school reopen.