Canceling Columbus Day, Welcoming Indigenous Day

++Indigenous+People%E2%80%99s+day+is+celebrated+Monday+October+12.%0A

Culture

Indigenous People’s day is celebrated Monday October 12.

Younger generations have come to view Columbus Day as a hidden celebration of human cruelty. The federal holiday, Columbus Day is a commemoration of Christopher Columbus’ first landing in the Americas. Even though the holiday has been celebrated since 1937,  it has spurred many controversies throughout its time.  

Over the past few years, there has been a demand to celebrate Indigenous People’s Day instead of Columbus Day. An increasing number of Millennials and Generation Z believe that the holiday “sugar coats” the tortue and trauma Christopher Columbus caused millions of Native Americans to endure centuries ago. 

Today, this trauma still affects the Native American population of America. As a result, more people are in favor of celebrating the culture, bravery, and legacy of Native Americans. Senior Sanderson student Margaret Haygood disagrees with Columbus Day saying, “I don’t believe a man as evil as him should be worth celebrating and praising, even if he is the reason our nation exists.”

Many highschool-aged students today went through elementary school where they were taught that Columbus was a profound navigator and courageous man responsible for discovering America. As these students are becoming more educated about Columbus, they have realized his “accomplishments” were only made possible through the pain and suffering of indingenous peoples. 

That is why on October 12, 1990, Indigenous People’s Day was created. From that day forth, American citizens honor the many Native Americans that carry the scars this country has given them. 

Senior Alaysia Peavy is supportive of taking the day to appreciate Native American people. She says, “I respect how brave they continue to be. It was not right for him to give them all of that pain just because he wanted something they had. And it is really not right for our citizens to celebrate that as if it is okay.”

Though the holiday mainly serves to advocate for Native American representation, it should also be known as a day to correctly represent their culture and values. For years Native Americans have been stereotyped in television, books, history, and company logos. 

Freshman Ashley Sosa-Godines brings awareness to the discrimination they constantly face in America sharing, “The large production company Disney took the story of a Native American girl and rewrote it so it would be acceptable for children. Things like that shouldn’t continue to happen.”

Luckily, North Carolina fully accepts Indigenous People’s Day as a holiday worth acknowledging. Native Americans, the original founders, are worth celebrating today, tomorrow, and forever.