Sandscript

Filed under Features

Invisalign dominates braces

For decades, the best way to straighten teeth was with braces consisting of metal brackets and wire. However, the classic “train track” look is not appealing to everyone. Over the past seven years, a new type of braces called “Invisalign” has gained popularity.

Invisalign braces were invented by Dr. Zia Chishti and her partner Dr. Kelsey Wirth in 1997. Invisalign are clear removable trays that align with teeth to straighten them over a period of time. The process starts with either a dentist or orthodontist who scans the teeth, creating a 3D model that shows up on a computer program. The 3D model is then sent to the invisalign lab, where a computer application creates different trays for the teeth over an allotted period of time depending on the state of the teeth.

The Invisalign trays are sent to the dentist and are given to the patient with specific instructions, including wearing them all the time, excluding when eating and drinking. Dental professionals also suggest not to ingest anti-inflammatories, such as Ibuprofen which can cause reduction in the speed of teeth movement. Instead, they suggest taking acetaminophen.

The average cost of braces is $5,000 and Invisalign is $7,000, so more people choose braces over Invisalign because of the price. However, depending on the teeth and what needs to be fixed, Invisalign can take a fraction of the time. Braces can take up to three years to work, while Invisalign can take from six to fifteen months.

Sanderson junior Delaney Kilgore praised the benefits, stating, “I love the idea that you can eat anything you want, whereas with braces, you can’t eat things like popcorn.”

Invisalign sales have increased due to the number of positive reviews and the accessibility to dental offices. Invisalign has the potential to dominate braces with the growing popularity in America and with young adults.

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

Make your own DIY hot cocoa ornament

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

Holiday letter to Aunt Jill and Uncle Jimmy

• Features

Raleigh rolls out handicap-accessible parking

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

Sandpipers sing in the season

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

New Starbucks store breaks language barriers

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

Titanic II makes a splash

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

Validictorians coming to a halt

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

Webb leads push for school safety

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

A World of Proms

• Invisalign dominates braces

Features

Sanderson students explore different lunch options

The Student News Site of Sanderson High School
Invisalign dominates braces