Sandscript

Filed under Sports

Return of the Mack to Carolina

Back to Article
Back to Article

Return of the Mack to Carolina

Thirty years after first becoming the head football coach at The University of North Carolina, Mack Brown is returning to Chapel Hill to coach the Tar Heels. The announcement to bring Brown back came on Tuesday, November 27, just two days after the program announced the release of six-year head coach Larry Fedora.

Brown was Carolina’s coach for ten years between 1988 and 1997, earning a record of 69-46-1. At one point in the 1997 season, UNC reached No. 4 in the Associated Press Top 25 and finished No. 6 at the end of the season. Brown then became the head coach at the University of Texas, where he stayed for the next 16 years, winning a championship with the Longhorns in 2005. At the end of the 2013 season, Brown resigned from the Texas football program and has since been a college football analyst for ESPN.

Over the past two years, the Carolina football team accumulated an abysmal record of 5-17, prompting the change at head coach. In a statement, UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham said “It is simply time to take our football program in a new direction,” according to The News & Observer. Fedora’s tenure at UNC was not without success however, as he managed to lead the Heels to five consecutive bowl appearances and the 2015 ACC Championship Game. The university will still have to pay Fedora $12.2 million dollars over the next four years, since he was in the middle of his contract and was fired without cause.

At 67 years old, Brown will be one of the oldest coaches in college football, but he will still hope to rejuvenate the program and help it return to the success it saw back when he was the head coach. Rumors have arisen that Brown could bring in former Auburn head coach Gene Chizik as his defensive coordinator, as well as Kliff Kingsbury as his offensive coordinator, who was recently released from the head coaching position at Texas Tech. Chizik was the defensive coordinator at Carolina in 2015 and 2016 and then resigned to spend more time with his family.

Brown is a respected and well-known figure among Carolina fans, and his return is sure to create excitement in the Carolina community.

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

2018-19 College Football Playoff and bowl games are set

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

Carolina Hurricanes surge forward

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

Week 9 ACC Football Recap

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

Runner from Syria reaches varsity Cross Country team

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

Virginia takes ACC tournament, loses first round in NCAA

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

NC State returns to NCAA tournament

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

The odds are not in your favor

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

2018 Olympic mascot takes gold for “cutest”

• Sports

Olympics open in Pyeongchang

• Return of the Mack to Carolina

Sports

Working out when it’s chilly

The Student News Site of Sanderson High School
Return of the Mack to Carolina