Sandscript

Filed under News

Marching Spartans dominate state band competition

Sanderson’s marching band, the “Marching Spartans,” received the title of Grand Champions at the “Heart of Carolina Invitational Competition” on October 6. Sanderson competed against fifteen other North Carolina high school bands, including Wakefield, the school that hosted the event. In addition to the “Grand Champions” title, the Marching Spartans placed second overall at the “Panther Creek Invitational” in September.

“Getting Grand Champs was great because this is the first time we’ve gotten it in four years,” said Avery Edwards, the Woodwind Captain and Vice President of the Marching Spartans. “It was nice to be recognized for our hard work.”

On October 27, Sanderson hosted the Capital City Band EXPO. As one of the state’s largest band competitions, EXPO attracts many high schools from across North Carolina who compete for awards such as the prestigious “Capital Cup.” Though the Marching Spartans did not compete, they performed at the competition’s conclusion in front of hundreds of state band members and their families.

However, the competition is about more than just awards. According to the Sanderson Band website, “the satisfaction of being recognized and rewarded for the total team effort given by students, school staff, parents, and community supporters” is the most important goal.

Students can continue to support the Marching Spartans by attending the upcoming Cary Band Day competition on November 3 and the annual Raleigh Christmas Parade on November 17.

The Student News Site of Sanderson High School