Webb leads push for school safety

Back to Article
Back to Article

Webb leads push for school safety

Webb

Webb

Webb

Fifty years ago, the United States was in the midst of a large anti-war movement against the controversial Vietnam War, and perhaps the most outspoken during this time were college students. Fast forward fifty years later, and it is once again students that are at the forefront of another large social movement. A school shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School this past February left seventeen dead, sparking a nationwide movement against gun violence in the US. Leading the charge in this movement have been students from across the country.

One student that has been an outspoken leader of the movement in the local community is Sanderson’s Greear Webb. On March 14, Webb helped organize a school-wide walkout at Sanderson to recognize those who lost their lives in the Stoneman Douglas shooting. Over 700 students attended the walkout, and Webb delivered a speech calling for action from politicians on gun control and school safety.

After the walkout, Webb helped organize a town hall on school safety that took place at Sanderson on May 29. The town hall was a part of the NC Town Hall series, which is meant to address the issues that are prevalent in North Carolina and the nation. The event brought together state lawmakers, police officers, mental health experts, and students that sat on a panel and answered questions regarding school safety. Webb ended the session with a powerful message, saying “Have a good night and get some rest, because tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and the next, we have work to do and a country to change.”

“He’s done a phenomenal job,” said Sanderson principal Dr. Greg Decker concerning Webb’s activism. “He has been a great representative of our school and has helped give us a positive image in the community and throughout the county.”

Since the town hall, Webb has made several appearances on local news stations advocating for school safety. But Webb is trying to do more than make schools a safer place. “To me, it’s about raising awareness of issues among young people, helping people understand that politics is everywhere, and helping people learn how to interact with their peers and politicians,” stated Webb.

Webb has created an organization called Young Americans Protest, or YAP. YAP works with state legislators on school safety and other important issues. Webb also intends to continue the NC Town Hall series that will focus on other issues such as race, immigration, health care, and education.

Webb’s actions over the last several months have shown that anyone, no matter their age, can have a positive influence on their community and on their country. Similar to the students who led the anti-war protests fifty years ago, students today are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in, and they are inspiring others to do the same.