Sanderson students use social media to celebrate International Women’s Day

Maddie Harkins

Sanderson junior Maddie Harkins posted pictures of five inspiring women as a way to celebrate International Women’s Day on social media (left to right: Frida Kahlo, Bell Hooks, Simone de Beauvoir, Marsha P Johnson, Gloria Steinem).

As a way to empower each other and show support for gender equality, Sanderson students joined millions of others worldwide to celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8. Although many women fight against societal stereotypes and expectations everyday in schools, workplaces, leadership positions, and even in families, this day serves as a reminder of the importance of equality between all people while also lifting up the progress women have made towards equality.

“I think International Women’s Day is an important day to recognize the strong and powerful women in everyone’s lives because strength in women is so stigmatized throughout society, but their successes should be celebrated instead of scrutinized,” stated Sanderson senior Hallie Phillips.

Many students used social media as an outlet to express their appreciation of International Women’s Day. Sanderson junior Maddie Harkins posted pictures on her Instagram of five inspiring women, including Frida Kahlo, Simone de Beauvoir, Bell Hooks, Marsha P Johnson, and Gloria Steinem. Without celebrating outwardly, Harkins shared that she used her Instagram to “contribute to the exposure of some powerful female figures.”

Another Sanderson junior, Risa Bolash, used her social media account to empower other females and promote intersectional feminism and representation for people of color. “I think International Women’s Day is cool because it shows our followers we are comfortable in our own skin and appreciate women in our lives. I like to think I might be inspiring girls to speak out, girls who are in the wrong friend groups and don’t feel comfortable calling themselves feminists,” explained Bolash.

These Sanderson students continue to inspire others with their dedication, encouragement, empowerment, and strength.