Teens for Gun Reform protest Parkland shooting

NPR

Protesters gathered in front of the White House, some laying down, and some standing with signs.

A group declaring themselves Teens for Gun Reform organized an event held on February 19 in front of the White House. Seventeen teenagers lay down for three minutes to symbolize the brief amount of time it took shooter Nikolas Cruz of Stoneman Douglas High School to murder seventeen students and teachers with his AR-15.

The event was organized by teens Eleanor Nuechterlein and Whitney Bowen who intended to express solidarity while simultaneously protesting for stricter gun control. Only expecting the event to gather a small crowd of friends, the girls were shocked to see over 100 supporters show up.

Nuechterlein and Bowen proposed the idea for the ‘lie-in’ through Facebook, where it soon gained attention and support from the public. Bowen claims that she hopes “the coverage of today’s event will help promote much-needed change. In the end, this is only the start. We are inspired by the students from Parkland in the wake of this atrocity, and hope that legislators will begin to hear and act upon the voices of our generation.”

The ‘lie-in’ led to an abundance of calls to Congress demanding change and action now. Students across the nation are finding other ways to challenge the local government as well, from organizing school walkouts to marches and rallies. Individuals have also taken the initiative by creating social media accounts such as @sandersonwalkout on Instagram to project their intentions to the rest of their school. The White House stated Trump will hold a “listening session” on February 21 with high school students and teachers, and meet with state local security officers the following day. Whether any of these acts will spur change is unknown, yet we can hope only good will come out if them.

BY: Lila Peters

Staff Writer